The Ortofon Quintet Black S is the best example of Quintet’s overall excellence
The Quintet Black S is graced with a Nude Shibata diamond, considered one of the best stylus profiles available, mounted on a high-performance Sapphire cantilever.
The Shibata’s slim, highly polished profile allows an exceedingly wide contact area to the walls of the groove and ensures detailed and pure reproduction throughout the spectrum, including even the most high frequency groove information.
The new Sapphire cantilever solution
Multiple studies show that demand for strategic natural resources continues to increase. New technologies use ever-increasing amounts of rare and strategic resources. Understandable that this increasing demand may complicate future supply.
Over the decades, there has been an increase in the use of Boron. Elemental Boron is mostly used in high tech applications. One of Boron’s benefits for our modern technology is its use in neodymium magnets, which are an alloy of neodymium, iron and boron. Boron has also been applied in manufacturing of phono cartridges: Boron cantilevers are strong, stiff, light and 100% inert. From all possible options Boron cantilever is the best, but unfortunately extremely difficult to obtain.
To make sure future supplies of the Ortofon High-End cartridges, we will henceforward reserve the use of Boron cantilevers for our Exclusive series.
The new MC Quintet Black S model is graced with Shibata stylus on the Sapphire cantilever. Sapphire is one of the best cantilever options that provides an excellent mechanical pulse transfer from the stylus to the coil system.
The Quintet Black S, like its predecessor Quintet Black, produces detailed and pure reproduction though-out the spectrum, volume and soundstage.
Ease of use
Top-mounting of the Quintet cartridges is easy and secure using the screws supplied. The aluminuim frame has threaded mounting holes and is fitted easily with the 5mm or 7mm screws depending on the thickness of the headshell.
The Quintet series’ right angles, straight lines, stylus visibility and ample distance between the record surface and the cartridge’s bottom will make it easy to mount and align the cartridge and tonearm correctly. The Quintet Series gives excellent results with most common tonearms.
- Output voltage at 1000 Hz, 5cm/sec. – 0.3 mV
- Channel balance at 1 kHz – < 1.0 dB
- Channel separation at 1 kHz – > 23 dB
- Channel separation at 15 kHz – > 15 dB
- Frequency range at – 3dB – 20 – 25.000 Hz
- Frequency response 20-20.000 Hz – +/- 1.5 dB
- Tracking ability at 315Hz at recommended tracking force *) – 80 µm
- Compliance, dynamic, lateral – 15 µm/mN
- Stylus type – Nude Shibata on Sapphire cantilever
- Stylus tip radius – r/R 6/50 µm
- Tracking force range – 2.1-2.5 g (21-25 mN)
- Tracking force, recommended – 2.3 g (23 mN)
- Tracking angle – 20°
- Internal impedance, DC resistance – 5 Ohm
- Recommended load impedance – > 20 Ohm
- Cartridge body material – ABS/Aluminium
- Coil wire material – Aucurum
- Cartridge colour – Black
- Cartridge weight – 9 g
*) Typical value